Saturday, August 20, 2011

Aug. 20th: Soundtracks For Summer: The Enchanted Tiki Room Revisited

Part 25 in my ongoing "Soundtracks For Summer" series.

Hey, my "songs that remind you of summer" blog series finally reached its 25th entry! So let's revisit the original post, shall we?


If y'all remember right (or if you just look up at the title), the very first Soundtracks For Summer entry was for the theme song of The Enchanted Tiki Room, a famous attraction in Disneyland & The Magic Kindom (Florida's Disneyland). I've since learned that the actual song is called "In The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room." So there's that.

I got the inspiration for this one when I was bored at school. You see, back then I was taking a summer class at college, and I had to attend early in the morning. I think you guys have known me long enough to know that I think mornings are overrated. It's too bright, too early, and there's nothing good on TV.

So in a fit of procrastination one day, I began to think about the Tiki Room. This got the gears in my mind turning. "This song really reminds me of summer," one of the gears told me. And so, fingers went to the keyboard and soon enough, a popular-with-myself blog series was born!

So why am I writing about this song for the THIRD time?! Well, I wanted an excuse to show you guys footage of the restored Tiki Room in the Magic Kingdom in Florida.


No more Iago or Zazu smelling up the joint! The show as a whole is a truncated version of the one found in Disneyland (which is itself now a truncated version of the original 1963 show), but the only people who would really notice are the hardcore Disney fans who go to the parks once a week. Of course THEY'RE pissed off, but they should get the rod out of their ass about that.

If you want to see what THIS version replaced, here it is:


Ugh. The cynical 90's at work. The show was just fine as it was, but someone had the bright idea to "update" the attraction and completely miss the point. The show's about animatronic birds singing tropical-style songs, but the new version has Iago & Zazu coming in to make the glee club sing popular latin songs instead. Also, Iago mentions that he'll take a nap in the Hall of Presidents afterwards.

Spoiler alert: This sucked, and I'm welcoming this "new" version in open arms. Good riddance to bad attractions.


BTW, I'm also taking reader submissions for future "Soundtracks For Summer" entries. If you've got an idea, pop me an email at beamingforbunnies@gmail.com OR comment on this entry OR at the Facebook Fan Page with the name of the song, and a reason or two why it defines "Summer" for you. You'll be glad you did.

Follow Me on Twitter!
"Like" Beaming For Bunnies on Facebook!

"Like" my Simpsons Quote of The Day Facebook Page!

1 comment:

alicecooper91 said...

Wow, I'm really glad they never had Iago and Zazu at the Disneyland Tiki Room! I was upset enough when they wanted to add in characters to Small World, but luckily they did that fairly subtly.