Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Commercials I Like at The Moment

You may not realize this, but I watch an ungodly amount of TV. I'm one of those people who look at those studies that the average person watches 8 hours of TV a day and think "pussies." And of course, every once in a while there are a few ads that catch my eye, whether they be gut-wrenching horrible or actually quite funny. I've talked about a few before, but I felt like sticking a few current memorable commercials in one spot:



The current ad for McDonald's Filet-o-Fish, just in time for what's left of Lent. It combines three things that make a great food ad: A pissed off friend, a catchy jingle, and a random pop culture reference. We finally got some damn use from one of those "Big Mouth Billy Basses" from the late 90's (with dozens of doppelgangers), and its execution is quite, dare I say it, inspired. I'm a lifetime fan of McDonald's commercials and I'll honestly say that this has been one of their best ads in YEARS.




Not to be outdone, Burger King, the other side of the fast food coin, recently released what is bound to be a classic in its own right. It's been a long time since their ads for their happy meal ripoffs had been successful, but I think they're finally on to something. For Spongebob's sake, this is a classic case of "Why the hell didn't they think of this sooner?!" as Mr. Squarepants has been around for roughly 9 years and the idea to combine him with a Sir Mix-a-Lot "I Like Big Butts" parody was never realized...until now. They even had the gall to put The King into this, and for once he's not the creepiest thing about this ad!




Adding one more combo to the mix, Six Flags recently combined their "More Flags! More Fun!" campaign with the Shouting Asian Stereotype with Mr. Six, the dancing Old Guy. It wouldn't be so bad due to the return of everyone's favorite geriatric dancer, but they had the nerve to give him a VOICE. Gaah! The voice does not match the prosthetic makeup job at all! I'm sure that this is all revenge against me when I had him lose to Billy Mays in the first round of my Infomercial Pitchman Tourney by having Billy turn him into Al Roker.

BTW, the vid is for Magic Mountain, so please don't assume I live anywhere near that shithole. My home Six Flags park is Great Adventure in Jersey. They at least have one of the buses that they used in the ads!


Are there any recent ads that you love/get your blood boiling?

No comments: