Sunday, January 31, 2021

Shiny!

Man, what a year it's been, huh? 

First, Covid is still around. Then, Trump people stormed the US Capitol and for some reason they all WEREN'T automatically arrested for it.

Saturday Morning Cartoons are back! 

MeTV even has a weekday morning block showing old cartoons that Cartoon Network refuses to touch. We're talking most of the Looney Tunes catalog, we're talking Droopy, black and white Popeye, the works. I knew January 6th was gonna be a weird one when I discovered that they let Pepe le Pew back on TV.

Ken Jennings hosts Jeopardy now, and he's also on a new version of The Chase with Brad Rutter and James Holzhauer (this primetime ABC version is kind of boring, TBH)

We lost some good people like Cecily Tyson, Hank Aaron, Sonny Fox, Cloris Leachman, Marc Wilmore, Allan Burns (co-created The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Munsters, My Mother The Car, and Cap'n Crunch!), and of course Larry King.

Bernie Sanders was everywhere

And now GameStop and AMC are the hottest stocks in the country.

I wonder what 2022 will have in store, and...Hold on, it's only JANUARY?!

Fuck.

Well...what else have I been up to this past month?

With YOU KNOW WHO finally out of the White House, I decided it was time to dive back into the world of Pokemon Sword.

It took five days to add about fifty more Pokemon, but I finally got around to completing the Galar Pokedex with all 400 mons to get the Shiny Charm! It makes shinies appear much easier in the game.

There's several methods of catching shiny Pokemon in this game, but the normal odds of finding a shiny in the wild are 1 in 4096, and that drops to 1 in roughly 1365. And if you try to breed a shiny through what's known as the Masuda Method (breeding pokemon from two different regions), that number goes from 1 in 682 to 1 in 512. So, still a long shot, but better.

And since I got that shiny charm roughly a week and a half ago, I've found five shinies.


My first attempt was Wooloo. I've been searching for this one on and off for more or less the entire time I've had the game. I get the shiny charm and BOOM, I find one within a day. I named it Tommy Boy.

BUT, alas dear readers, what you're reading was my FIRST attempt. Yes, through sheer panic and anxiety of finally finding my white whale (which was in this case a black sheep), I forgot to save the game when I caught it, and at least an entire hour's worth of progress went down the drain.

After some mild panic set in, I decided to go back to the hunt. I waited this long for one to show up, what's another few hours gonna go?

But we're in luck! A second one showed up after 29 battles, or about half an hour.

This one was female, so I named her Hydrox. Don't worry, I saved at least three times after I caught it.

Then came egg hatching a Buneary.

Why this one? Well, I already have a shiny Bunnelby and a Scorbunny, so I might as well get ALL of the shiny buns. And then I realized that Azumarill survived Dexit, too, so I'll be on the hunt for a shiny one of those later.


This one...was just dumb luck. I wasn't even looking for anything, I just decided to go battle a random Hitmonlee and BOOM, it was green!

It was only fitting that I named him Kickpuncher.

This Landorus came off Surprise Trade and quite frankly, I think it was hacked. Or at least made in a technically legal way, it looks like it came from one of those giveaway accounts.

And finally, I hatched one of my favorite shinies, this Carvahna, just a few hours ago. I call the big one Bitey.


Well, that'll do it for this month. Hope to see you all in February!

No comments: