Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Funko Stuff!

Well folks, San Diego Comic Con has come and gone once again. Stuff got announced, people cosplayed as cool things, and Funko released more exclusive Pops.


This was the complete set of this year's pops and other stuff. Gonna admit, I was pretty relieved that there weren't a lot of pops I wanted this time around. I've said before that I've pretty much run out of room to store much of anything, so I've become really picky about what I pick up.

In past years, I wouldn't have passed up an orange Conan O'Brien, or went out of my way to grab a Man-Thing pop from Entertainment Earth. I really wish that Pez mascot wasn't a Toy Tokyo exclusive, looks like it's eBay's problem now. And really, I didn't care about the Louie Bloo Otter Pop until it was only limited to 1000 of them.

But here I'll show you what I DID pick up!


Of course it was obvious that I'd nab the Kang & Kodos two pack from GamesStop. Turns out that this was one of those rare times where it was shortpacked, because for some reason stores ended up getting less than 3 of them, if at all. I checked five stores and came up empty handed, but luckily my friend Steve was able to pick up the last one at his local store in the mall.

They're pretty impressive up close. They're slightly bigger than most normal pops, plus they glow in the dark!


These were the Funko shop exclusives. You might remember last year that I managed to snag the Banana Splits set in a stroke of dumb luck. This year Funko got much better about announcing releases in advance so I was more than ready this time. I also may have underestimated the popularity of a few characters. HR Pufnstuf and the SDCC Toucan sold out immediately, but as of writing this, Sigmund is still available.

Being a fan of Sid & Marty Krofft, I had to pick these up. The SDCC Toucan seems to be the convention's mascot, and far be it from me to miss out on yet another ad icon pop.


I really like the details on the HR Pufnstuf pop, like that Mayor badge, and that he's holding the golden flute.


Sigmund is quite cute close up.


The pictures don't do it justice, they're pretty impressive looking.


Oh! And this is probably the more impressive pickup: The Freddy Funko Box o Fun from Fundays. What's Fundays, you ask? Well, it's more or less a party Funko holds every year during SDCC for its most diehard fans and/or resellers. Everyone there gets lots of Funko pops with low production runs (like 24 and 48 pieces total. I've seen 12), prototypes (literally one of a kind), and all kinds of cool stuff. For the second year in a row, Funko decided to be generous and put out a mystery box of nine possible pops that are exclusive to this box.


This year was Tiki party themed, so that explains the two Tiki characters (which are variants of pops given at Fundays this year), plus Surfing Freddy. Batman & Joker's were variants of these two pops:


Yes, these are pops of Batman and Joker from that one episode of the Adam West series where they went surfing.


I've seen that episode and trust me when I say it's gloriously stupid. It's season 3, so it's very cheap and ridiculous, but it's a must see

As for the rest, we have Rick w/Portal Gun and Toxic Rick from Rick & Morty, Chucky, and Mer-Man from Masters of The Universe. Don't ask me why, I don't pick who gets the Malibu Stacy with New Hat treatment.


Here's what it looks like from the back. Everyone at Fundays got one, and last year was the first time Funko extended this gift to the regular folks like me. They sell out lightning quick, too, and you had to basically watch your computer to know when the orders went live.

I would've bought the one they had last year, too, but again, buying the Banana Splits pops were enough for me. And frankly, I liked this year's crop better.


This was my haul: Surfing Batman, Surfing Joker, and Portal Gun Rick.


Here's Rick up close. There's already a Rick Freddy Funko that was given out at a past Fundays, but this is the first one with the portal gun.

All in all, these were the exact three I wanted, so this was $50 and change well spent if you ask me. I've brought up in past posts that I've been having oddly good luck with mystery boxes in the past year, and it turns out this time was no different. Will my luck ever run out? Stay tuned!

(NEW) Follow Me on Instagram!
"Like" Beaming For Bunnies on Facebook!

"Like" my Simpsons Quote of The Day Facebook Page!

No comments: