Thursday, June 18, 2009

Soundtracks For Summer: Vacation

Part 10 in my ongoing "Soundtracks For Summer" Series

We come to the 10th part in my nth part series of songs that define Summer with the last entry that I had on the backburner for the past YEAR. Yes, it's been slightly over a year to the day when I posted the first entry to the series, which if you remember was The Enchanted Tiki Room. I have no clue why I only posted 9 entries last year, but I assure you that Soundtracks For Summer: 2009 Edition will feature MORE entries.

We begin year 2 of the series with that famous hit by The Go-Gos, Vacation.



This video in particular is sadly not the music video with the Go-Gos water skiing and such because none of the vids of that on Youtube are embeddable. With that out of the way, this is a song that lives up to its name: It's about vacations and having fun on them. You're not where you live, only your family knows you there, and you try to booze and score knowing that there's a slim possibility that you'll ever return.

Hence, this song is usually blasting through the speakers when you're making your awesome roadtrip to your destination, whether it be Vegas, Orlando, or your Mom's house, you know everything's gonna be fun where you're going. If anything, you'd just be flashing back of that infamous tape of the Go-Go's all high and talking about sex and drugs.

It's one of the most awesome things on Earth, and I haven't been able to experience a true vacation in about 2 years. It's usually due to my family vacationing in Upstate New York (Usually Lake Placid & Lake George) every year since I was around 5, and 15 years of spending a week up there got a little tiring. It's not Disney World or Vegas where there's something new each time. Oh no, while it's quaint with its touristy atmosphere and mountain air, nothing really changes. People in Lake Placid still believe the Winter Olympics are going on up there, despite it not being held there in 29 years.

I long for change. Cedar Point, Hersheypark, Disney World, Comic-Con and The Buffalo Wing Festival are my Top 5 vacation destinations. Will anyone help me out?

And we can't talk about a summer song called "Vacation" without the version by Vitamin C:



It's most known for opening up the Pikachu's Vacation short that was shown before the first Pokemon movie back in 1998. As lame and cheesy as it was, with this song pumping over the walking footage of Pokemon, we all thought for the first one and a half minutes that this segment was gonna be just fine. Sadly, we got our hopes dashed before the good stuff came on.

But back on the subject, while this is not a cover of the Go-Go's song, it seems to be a more modern pop equivalent of it. As much as I hate modern pop, or pop in general, it's still awesome and just as pump-worthy as the Go-Go's version, with Pokemon to boot!


I'm also taking reader submissions for future "Soundtracks For Summer" entries. If you've got an idea, pop me an email at beamingforbunnies@gmail.com with the name of the song, and a reason or two why it defines "Summer" for you. You'll be glad you did.

BTW, The next few Soundtracks For Summer will be: School's Out, Walk The Dinosaur, and Paradise City. Got any memories for those songs? Pop me an email!

No comments: