Thursday, July 30, 2009

Soundtracks For Summer: Walk The Dinosaur

Part 13 in my ongoing "Soundtracks For Summer" series.

Here's an entry that I've been wanting to do for a while, but could never write it down.



"Walk The Dinosaur," the biggest hit for the band Was (Not Was). I'm highly aware that this isn't the original, iconic video. It can be found here. Damn record label not allowing embedding.

This is actually the first song in this series that I have no experience with whatsoever. It's mostly due to this song being my most requested entry. Still, this is a pretty damn good song. Here's what I do know about it: Released in 1987 during MTV's heyday, it was one of those songs that experienced quite a heavy rotation, and thus, becoming quite ingrained in viewer's minds. The visuals certainly help. 80's Pop? Yes. Lame Dance? Yep. Hot women? Hell yes. Cheap soundstage? Check. Public Domain Looney Tunes? Checkmate. All for an awesome video.

I can quite imagine this song playing on a boombox during a beach party in the late 80's and beyond. It also reminds me of someone boldly attempting to pick up chicks in a beach-themed bar with this song playing. Then getting rejected. Then getting trashed. Then repeating the cycle. Good times.

I've also got this memory from regular reader and blogging friend Dan:
One of my personal fave's! I remember I was about 16 or 17 when I went to my sister's place out in the middle of nowhere for a bonfire/weenie roast. This song came on the radio and everyone was singing along and dancing (poorly) to the music. It's such an odd song anyway but it'll always have a spot in my heart.
And it's a good thing that I saved this entry until now, it's actually been getting a slight resurgence thanks to appearing on the soundtrack for Ice Age 3. It's a cover by Queen Latifah, but still. It's also been more famously covered by George Clinton (& The Goombas) for the Super Mario Bros. movie. I'll let you be the judge of which one is freakier/more awesome.



BTW, I'm also taking reader submissions for future "Soundtracks For Summer" entries. The next few Soundtracks For Summer entries will be: Paradise City, Holiday Road and Californication. If you've got an idea, pop me an email at beamingforbunnies@gmail.com with the name of the song, and a reason or two why it defines "Summer" for you. You'll be glad you did.

Also, does anyone know the name of that Red Hot Chili Peppers song where the music vid was them just riding in a car? That one's perfect for a late summer entry.

No comments: