Monday, July 19, 2010

Soundtracks For Summer: Red, Red Wine

Part 17 in my ongoing "Soundtracks For Summer" series

For today's entry of songs that define "summer," how come no one reminded me about this great song?!



UB40's "Red, Red Wine" is one of those ubiquitous Summer Songs. Slow tempo, mellow guitar strumming, and red wine, the most mellow of the classy alcoholic liquids. The song is just perfect for lounging around some crystal-clear pool in Jamaica while smoking an enormous joint in front of all the tourists pissed off by the horrid smell.

But screw them, you've got this song, the munchies, and the mellow vibes! By the way, I can't talk about this song, without talking about their OTHER mellow tribute to summer blunts, "The Way You Do The Things You Do."



This song in general inspired the entry itself, as it's one of the many songs that plays on constant rotation on the CVS muzak. "Wasn't this by UB40," I asked. Thanks to the related videos tab on Youtube, it turns out I was right.

BTW, I'm also taking reader submissions for future "Soundtracks For Summer" entries. If you've got an idea, pop me an email at beamingforbunnies@gmail.com OR comment on this entry OR at the Facebook Fan Page with the name of the song, and a reason or two why it defines "Summer" for you. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

James Westfall, Esq. said...

classic song. like your style!!