Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Nine Years Old!

Hard to believe but the blog turned nine years old this month!





Yeah, I make no promises that this blog will be updated more than once a month, but I really should start doing that again. Having a "real" job plus the instant gratification of Twitter kind of puts the kibosh on those plans.

Now for the monthly "what have I been up to, lately" stuff.


Another blizzard happened! Well, I don't think it was a blizzard, it didn't snow nearly as much as last year's big storm, but it sure screwed everything up around here for a while. Work was cancelled for one day, and because of that and other factors, I had to work the next eight without a single break. Joy.

And then the temperature reached the sixties and about 90% of that snow is long gone, Keep in mind that this was February, and I live in New York.

It did, however, lead to some good weather and I went driving around Fire Island and caught some local deer.


I don't know why, but don't you get strangely happy when you see wild animals while driving your car?


I've been wanting new weird fast food offerings after Taco Bell's Naked Chicken Chalupa from last month, and White Castle's crab cake sliders were just what I needed to fill that void. Lent creeping upon us, and this is prime time for fast food joints to roll out their seafood offerings for the two months out of the year they care about it. For ages, White Castle has had the fish sandwich and fish nibblers on the menu (whatever those are. I've had them and still don't know whats in them), and lately they've added clam strips and their version of popcorn shrimp, but the crab cakes are new.

If you're wondering how these things taste, good news: they're good! Do you like crab cakes? Do you like weird creole sauce? Then you'll like these.


And I found this abomination of nature in the supermarket the other day. You're not getting a review out of me for this one. I usually say "science has gone too far" when I find the latest weird Oreo flavor, but now I'm certain science has officially gone too far this time. Thanks, Mr. President.


Oh yeah, Pokemon Go finally updated to add the Johto pokemon! Well, most of them. The legendaries are not present, and for some reason Smeargle isn't available, but it's a big update nonetheless. It was freezing cold the week this update happened, but this didn't stop anyone from hunting Pokemon around my neck of the woods:


This was at the local park not far from my house a few weeks ago. It hasn't been this active in months, everyone was freezing their asses off, but dammit there are Swinub everywhere and they;re a bitch to catch and I got a lot of them.


Oh yeah, finally picked up one of my Funko grails! The Dorbz 3 pack of Count Chocula, Boo Berry, and my boy Frankenberry that was only available from Toy Tokyo's booth during New York Comic Con. I've written about this before, but I was at that convention and this item was near impossible to get. Seriously, I had people wait in line for me to get it and even they didn't have luck. You folks know that I love Frankenberry and wanted this at all costs.

Well, most costs. This pack doesn't go for less than 80 bucks on eBay, but through some miracle, a tip from a Facebook group led me to a collectable store in a mall twenty minutes from my house that sold it for $55. After taking a few deep breaths, I bought it before anyone else could get their grubby hands on it. Seriously, the store is Emerald City Collectables and it'd be my bedroom if it was a store. That's how much I fell in love with the place.

All I need is the Frankenberry Pop figure and I can say that I'm done. For now.


Speaking of impulse buys, I bought this genuine cel from Rocko's Modern Life off of eBay. Can you believe it was only 40 bucks? I forget the name of the episode, but it's where Rocko and Heffer to go a baseball game to catch a foul ball. I already own a Ren & Stimpy cel, and finding an affordable Rocko cel just popped out of nowhere. There's a few more cels on eBay, but they're all over 100 bucks, I just went for a cheap one. Hell, there was another cel I was eyeballing from the episode "Bedfellows,"  But I love it all the same.

My goal is, as always, to own a cel from the Simpsons. By the way, I've checked eBay, they're not cheap there, either.


And on the subject of the Simpsons, I stumbled upon an old episode of Family Feud on Buzzr that featured old celebrities such as Betty White, Audrey Meadows, Caesar Romero, and as seen above, The Man Who's Always Standing And Walking.

It's an odd bunch of episodes, you can view one here:


That'll do it for February, folks, It's been a wild nine years, let's hope the world is around enough to do this for nine more.

No comments: