Monday, September 5, 2011

Sept. 5th: Soundtracks For Summer: Scar Tissue

Part 26 in my ongoing "Soundtracks For Summer" series.

Hey, today's Labor Day, the unofficial last day of summer. So how about one last "songs that remind you of summer" entry for the year?


Today's song is the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Scar Tissue." I've been wanting this write about this song for a while, but I just never knew the name of it until now. The video above is just a lyrics vid, because the awesome music video is from an actual band, which means no embedding. Bastards.

In any case, the video in question can be found here. With the mellow guitar strums and lower-than-usual tempo, this song really puts me into an "end of summer" kinda mood. The days get shorter, the temperature cools down, school starting soon, that sorta thing. I pretty much missed out on my end-of-summer tradition, the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon, which usually aired on Labor Day. I say "usually" because for some reason IT AIRED YESTERDAY.

That's nuts. It tells a lot about the current popularity of the telethon, especially since this was the first year without Jerry's involvement. I guess they had to find someone else to barely warble through "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Now as for the video itself, the band is riding around the desert in a car while the sun sets around them. This not only evokes an "end of summer" feeling for me, but an "end of the vacation" feeling, too. The adventure's done, we saved the day. We're tired, we're hung-over. We spent a little too much money on the slot machines. And with all that, you don't even have a day of rest because you have work tomorrow.

Yes, today's gonna suck while you wax nostalgic for the last few days of your life. But tomorrow...tomorrow will hopefully be better.


BTW, I'm also taking reader submissions for future "Soundtracks For Summer" entries. If you've got an idea, pop me an email at beamingforbunnies@gmail.com OR comment on this entry OR at the Facebook Fan Page with the name of the song, and a reason or two why it defines "Summer" for you. You'll be glad you did.

Follow Me on Twitter!
"Like" Beaming For Bunnies on Facebook!

"Like" my Simpsons Quote of The Day Facebook Page!

No comments: