Monday, June 23, 2008

7 Words...

A perfect day got derailed for me.

I was all set to be happy and fun, when I look at Fark to find that George Carlin died.

I'm saddened to the point where I have to make a frowny face about that. :(

He was one of the greatest comics to ever live...but I'll admit that I'm only young enough to see his stuff as a bitter old man, and not the comedy genius that he was. I know how influential he was, but he was such in a different generation than mine.

He was the second Mr. Conductor on the 90's children's show "Shining Time Station," which introduced Thomas The Tank Engine to the United States. Why he would do a children's show at all confuses the hell outta me, but it was fun to watch him attempt to get through an episode without saying one of the 7 Words You Can't Say on TV.

I still have several Thomas videos where Carlin was narrating. "LOOK OUT PERCY, YOU STUPID PRICK!" Or some sort. Subtly hilarious footage.

Those 7 Words happen to be Piss, Fuck, Tits, Motherfucker, Cocksucker, Shit & Cunt. I know the list doesn't "gel" as well as Carlin put it, but I'm not George, and I'm not dead.

I know for a fact that it's now completely normal to say Piss & Tits on TV, and it's all thanks to South Park that we've heard the other 5 uncensored.

3 comments:

nostalgiajunkie said...

Yeah, I used to watch Shining Time Station and when I got older and learned who George Carlin was, I was like "OH MY GOD IT'S MR. CONDUCTOR! AND HE'S SAYING LOTS OF BAD WORDS!" I also didn't realize for a long time that he was Rufus in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Denise said...

Free speech died a little yesterday.

Kittymao said...

George Carlin Dying affected me more than I expected it to.
I found him to be a good solid voice of moral stability in an unstable world, and I do still regularly quote the guy.
I even did a piece using his dialogue in Animation class, and still have it memorized to this day.

I'm going to miss him so very much.