Wednesday, May 28, 2008

This or That? How about Neither!

I'm a fan of food, as well as being a fan of geekish organization. And the geekish classification of food? Well, I'm beaten by probably Alton Brown and other Food Network junkies when it comes to that.

There's that old question about whether some things are fruits or vegetables. Fruits are the reproductive products of the plant, with their seeds inside (or, like the Strawberry, on the outside), while vegetables are the edible part of the plant itself, which may or may not contain seeds.

Everyone knows what are fruits, like Apples, Oranges, Peaches, Coconuts, Limes, Strawberries, etc., and Vegetables including Broccoli, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery, Beets, and so on.

But what about those foods that are both? Are neither? Well, I toss these off in what I call the "Fuck It Pile," all the foods that have had so much debate whether they're fruits or vegetables, I just said "fuck it!" and threw them in a category all their own.

Here are the items in my "Fuck It!" Pile:



The Tomato


The Potato



The Pumpkin



And, of course, the Peanut.


EDIT:



It seems I forgot the Pickle, and its pre-Brine cousin, the Cucumber.

Got any suggestions for the "Fuck It!" Pile? Give a shout in the comments!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pickles are kind of weird. But I always look at Tomatoes as berries.

Anonymous said...

I kept reading that as the "Fuck It" pie and was half expecting baking instructions, cos that would be one kick ass pie.

DC said...

What does a beet fall under? I've heard both. I say...fuck it.